Monday, April 5, 2010

Loaves and Fish

Jesus replied, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."
"We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish," they answered.
"Bring them here to me," he said. And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

Matthew 14:16-21


It has been a very good visit home. I have been able to catch up on sleep, emails, relationships, and letter writing. As I prepare to return to Haiti next Monday, it feels like I need another week at home. At the same time, it feels like I have been away from Haiti far too long. It is really hard having your heart in two countries at the same time.

I was able to spend two days in Nashville, TN last week. The main purpose of the trip was to watch my Daughter perform in a singing event at her college. I also used the opportunity to visit with a couple of international Aid groups that are headquartered in the area. Both meetings went very well. One of the groups, Mobile Medical Disaster Relief, is going to begin helping send medical groups in to work with our patients and to conduct village clinics. This will be a great help for the Haitian people.

The second group I met with, Healing Hands International, is currently active in supporting aid workers in Haiti. There are a couple of areas that I am going to be able to help them with. They may also be able to answer a prayer of ours by providing a portable X-Ray machine. A huge blessing from God is that they have agreed to provide some of my financial support. This has been a constant prayer of mine since beginning this ministry. Again - God comes through! We really do serve an amazing and powerful God. Please join me in prayers of gratitude for His care and protection.

When I return to Haiti next week, I am meeting with Digicel Foundation of Haiti. They are graciously donating cell phones that will be used by the clinics and hospitals we work with in our medical supply distribution network. They are also looking at ways to support and help with the 911 emergency system being developed in the Cap-Haitien area. 

I am continuing to seek new avenues of support and funds. It came to me in one of my morning prayer and quiet times that with the next disaster in the world, the bulk of the aid workers currently in Haiti will be on the first plane out. This will return Haiti to the levels of need and starvation so prevalent before the earthquake. I am committed to doing as much business management training and as many micro-loans for business start ups as funds will allow. This is the area that the majority of your donations will be going to over the next few months. In Haiti, family takes care of family. If a micro-loan can allow 1 person to eke out a living, that "living" includes the support of her or his extended family. Typically this is for a group of 20 to 30 people. Hopefully you can see the potential impact that one loan of $300 to $500 can have on a relatively large group of Haitians. Perhaps most important is the impact this has on the esteem of the recipients.

In this effort we will soon be kicking off a "Loaves and Fish" campaign. If God could take 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread and feed a multitude; I know he can take a multitude of us to help a country.feed itself. This will be the focus of the Loaves and Fish campaign. We are praying that God will provide 5,000 pledges of monthly support. This will have an enormous impact on reducing hunger in Haiti. These funds will go to micro-loans and the training of the recipients of the loans to help insure their success. Your prayers, support, and spreading the word about this campaign are requested. Look at the top of this blog for coming details on this.

If anyone ever has any questions regarding the budget for my work in Haiti, or would like to see an accounting of the donated funds, please ask. I operate with complete transparency and will gladly provide any of this upon your request. I work with no salary and do not use any fund raising companies. Campus Church processes my donations. Their address is:

Campus Church of Christ
1525 Indian Trail Lilburn Road,
Norcross, GA 30093

Please attach a note indicating that the contribution is for Randy Moore:  Haiti mission fund

God is good. He does hear our prayers and He does provide for His children. Say "yes" to Him and brace yourself for the sheer power He will display through your life. This is my testimony.

Grace and peace,
Randy

2 comments:

  1. Dear Randy, keep up the good work! Stay strong. I'd like to come to Haiti this summer, after a visit to our camp for kids with hemophilia. Will you be there May 24-Jun2 or after Jun 6? We have a hemophilia patient in Cap Hatien I'd like to visit. I am trying to find patients. I can get them their blood-clotting medicine. Please advise on the best way to do this?

    Your blog is inspirational and wonderful. I'll make a contribution to your efforts today. Warm regards, Laurie laurie@kelleycom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie,
    Thank you for the generous donation. Thank you even more for the kind words of encouragement. I meet with a group of Haitian medical professionals each Wednesday afternoon. I will inquire at next week's meeting about patients with bleeding disorders.
    You are welcome to stay at the parish when you come to visit - No A/C or hot water, but everything else is great!
    I'll be in touch. Thank you again for your care and generosity.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete