Sunday, April 25, 2010

One Haitian At A Time

What a week! Very busy, but very fruitful. Over 650 patients cared for in mobile clinics, more than 800 people provided with de-worming medication, more than 200 surgical consults, 22 surgeries performed before Wednesday; and a total of 59 surgeries for the week. More importantly; due to the Haitian culture and the closeness of extended family, for each one of these patients cared for, an additional 20 to 25 people's lives were touched by the love of Jezi in Haiti just through this work. This is being duplicated across the country by many wonderful groups. God will be victorious in this country.

All of the work we were able to accomplish this week was purely Spirit led and by the grace of God. He sent us a marvelous team of workers from North Carolina from Medical Missions International. Due to some last minute scheduling snafus at another facility, we were able to have their entire team of 15 work with us. Many of them were surgeons that were able to join Dr. Visani, a Urologist here for a month from South Dakota in our operating suite. To increase efficiency the surgeons moved another bed into the OR so we were able to perform procedures requiring local and general anesthesia at the same time. The others, including a great Rehab MD, 2 PT's, Nurses, and the others all quickly jumped in and helped run some of the best mobile clinics ever seen in this area! The group did more to inspire me in their work here than they will ever know.

I was also blessed to be able to get reacquainted with Wilbert and Meg who run the Living Hope Ministry on the other side of O'Cap. Due to space limitations they graciously provided lodging for half of the group. More importantly, being able to spend time in prayer and talking with Wilbert was a desperately needed balm for my soul. He helped me refocus so much on the importance of the work here - Even more that all I am here for is simply to glorify God. Wilbert also shared a very good thought with me in that "We can only help one Haitian at a time".

I am finding that the more I empty myself, the more the Holy Spirit works though me. It is very humbling and emotional; but incredibly awe inspiring to see His power. I am coming to know a "living faith". God is so powerful. He will perform miraculous things through people willing to open themselves to His Spirit. So many "coincidental" things happen that literally save lives that all I can do is proclaim God is in control.

It is difficult to pick an example as these occur so often. One that sticks out was during one of our mobile clinics a little girl was brought in with sever pneumonia. She was in very bad shape according to the Dr's caring for her. Miraculously, an antibiotic that would never have been sent to a mobile clinic had been loaded with the meds that day - in liquid form - Honestly saving this little girl's life.

A happy occurrence during the week was while working in Bois Caiman at a mobile clinic, many of the older women were asking for "dlo" water. This is a very rare thing in the country. Upon investigation we learned that their well had broken and they were having to walk about a mile up the side of a mountain to a spring to get water for the village. They showed us the part that was broken, it appeared that a little welding would fix it. We we able to get this done for less than $5.00 US. I have written in previous posts about how much can be done in this country for so little. This is a perfect example. I wish you could have seen the villager's faces when they saw the cool water flowing again from their well. For some reason the 5 dollars reminded me a lot of the 5 loaves that Jesus fed the multitude with.

I am slowly learning Haitian Kreyol. I was frustrated at first in not being able to share more about God's love with people due to language barriers. I am seeing God's plan though in that He is first helping the people here learn to trust me through the care we bring them,  then I will be a more credible witness for Him as I communicate better. Piti, piti m'arive!

I'll close with the most heartfelt thank you I can extend to the wonderful team from North Carolina that came to help us this week.

I received a phone call from Healing Hands this week that a brand new hospital has been found in Port Au Prince. Built by a mission group, no structural damage, OR, ER, Mother baby, Everything! They just need someone to come open get it up and running.Having done the same here, I am in deep prayer on this. I may fly over one day late this week to assess.

Please keep praying hard for the people of Haiti along with the work here. God is listening!

The perfect song for the work here...

Trading My Sorrows

I'm trading my sorrows
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down
For the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down
For the joy of the Lord

We Say
Yes Lord yes Lord
Yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord
Yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord
Yes yes Lord Amen

I am pressed but not crushed
Persecuted not abandoned
Struck down but not destroyed
I am blessed beyond the curse
For his promise will endure
That his joy's gonna be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning

We Say
Yes Lord yes Lord
Yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord
Yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord
Yes yes Lord Amen

Song writer~Darrell Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment